Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Won't you be my neighbor?

I did my first outside run in a long while this morning.  I almost chickened out when I woke up at 6 and looked at the temperature - it was already 80 degrees, 80% humidity.  I dawdled until the sun came up (I won't run in the dark around here), then got dressed and brushed my teeth and headed out, figuring if it was absolutely miserable I could always turn around and come home.

That didn't happen though, I finished!  It was hot, but there was a nice breeze for a lot of it and I got to run through a couple sprinklers along the way.  I did manage to temporarily short out one of my earbuds from sweat and the water I splashed on my face from my water bottle, but it's fine now.

I was meant to run 30 minutes.  I got to about 20 before I had to stop and walk for a minute, but I'll count it as a win since that's twice as long as I've ever run at once outdoors.

The neighborhood is pretty sleepy and quiet around 7am, but once I was about halfway done people started leaving for work, and coming outside to take care of their yards and such.  And now we get to the title of this post:  If I take a second out of my labored huffing and puffing to nod at you and say 'Good morning!', and you're just standing there looking at me like 'Why is she so sweaty?', AT LEAST you could say hi back to me!  Unfriendly neighbors...

*While looking for stock photos to put up with this post, I stumbled across this article:  The Runner's Waving Dilemma - it's about runners waving/not waving at other runners, I thought it was a fun read.  :)  I'm definitely a 'waver' (or I nod, say 'hey', etc).  For me there is generally some form of acknowledgement to the others that are out walking or running, trying to better themselves.

No comments: