Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Still playing catch-up

I left off at my last weigh-in, which was Saturday morning.

That afternoon was more 10k training.

Saturday, 4/23/11 - PALA 10k plan, Day 4 - 3.94 miles in 60:00 (15:14 pace) - 10 min walk @ 3.4mph, 35 min jog @ 4.2, 10 min walk again, followed by 4x100m strides @ 5.0

35 minutes!  My longest jog ever!  I'll be saying that a lot in the coming weeks if I stick to this training plan.  That's almost 2 1/2 miles.  Getting closer to 5k distance.
As for the strides, those are defined as running strong and relaxed for a short distance.  Not sprinting, but faster than you'd run on long distances.  The plan says to jog for 30 seconds in between each 100m, but I chose to walk at my normal pace instead, since jogging isn't exactly easy for me and I was tired!
I also spent some time on Saturday afternoon potting tomato plants, peppers, and various herbs.  The combination of bending over repeatedly to do this and running 2 days in a row had my hamstrings pretty upset with me!


Sunday, 4/24/11 - Zumba+Abs class, 1 hr

My first time at Zumba!  It was fun, but definitely no joke when you're as out of shape as I am.  I was absolutely drenched by the end of it.  A fair portion of the dance moves involve squatting in some capacity, and I was definitely feeling it since my hammies were already hurting from the day before.  Once we cooled down from the dancing we did a short ab workout on the floor...thinking I may need to get a yoga mat now because I don't really like the idea of using the gym mats - yuck.  I plan on going back next Sunday;  class is $5 at the Gold's Gym by my house, and I don't have to be a member to attend!  Yippee!


Monday, 4/25/11 - PALA 10k plan, Day 5 - 2 miles in 30:00 (15:00 pace) - 5 min warmup/cooldown walks @ 3.4, 20 min jog @ 4.3

It took some willpower to get this one done.  First of all, I had the brilliant idea of not eating anything before working out that day.  I don't know how some folks can work out first thing in the morning without putting anything in their bellies.   I feel like I can't put forth as much effort because I have no energy!  My ideal food+workout combination is to eat something kind of light and then wait an hour or two to do cardio.
Second, Zumba seriously kicked my ass the day before, without me even knowing it.  My entire lower back and my shoulders were screaming when I got out of bed!  I understand the back - lots of hip wiggling while dancing causes all those muscles around the waist to work.  But why the heck did my shoulders hurt?  Soooo out of shape.  Add to that my still-sore hamstrings and it was definitely a treadmill session where the whole time I stared at the clock, wishing to be done.


And so ends the catching up! 

No cardio today - I've done 4 days in a row!  I may pick up my dumbbells and do some arm work later, not sure yet.

My daily scale-jumping is starting to wear on my nerves.  After doing so poorly last week, but staying at essentially the same weight, I've cracked down and have been tracking everything now.  But I'm halfway through my week and I'm heavier than at weigh-in!  Grrrrr...

I'll leave you with a pic of today's lunch:  1/2 teriyaki-marinated grilled chicken breast, grilled veggies (grape tomatoes, red onion, red & green bell pepper, mushroom) & pineapple, and 1/2 cup of chicken-flavored Rice-a-Roni.  This was leftover from dinner this weekend.  So yummy, and only 8 PointsPlus for this giant plate!

No comments: